Take My 20-Question Carpet Buying Quiz
Do you know enough about Buying Carpet to avoid making Serious and Costly Mistakes?
Buying carpet is not as simple as it was 20 or 30 years ago. but today it is very easy to make the wrong carpet choices. Smart carpet shoppers do their homework and research before making such an important and expensive purchase of buying new carpet. Can you make all the right choices and get the whole job done start to finish? Maybe so, my simple carpet quiz will put your carpet buying knowledge to the test!
Are you a Smart Shopper? You need to be. First, take your sweet time making your choices! There are hundreds or thousands of your hard-earned dollars at stake!
Second, have a game plan! You should already have a good idea about what carpet style and main characteristics of the carpet and pad you need or want to buy. You should know how long you expect your carpet to last and about how much it's going to cost for the carpet, the pad and the installation, long before you reach for your checkbook.
When you visit any retail carpet store, you don't want to start asking advice from the carpet salesperson. Most of your carpet buying questions should have been researched and answered long before you start shopping for carpet.
Any questions you have for the salesperson should be limited to "How much does this carpet cost per yard?", or " Do your installers use a power-stretcher?" or "Can I see a copy of the manufacturer's carpet warranty?".
After you visit several unscrupulous carpet retailers, you'll almost think you're buying carpet from a used car lot. The last thing you need is high-pressure salespeople and a garbage can full of conflicting information. You will quickly understand the reason why you don't want to ask carpet salespeople for advice.
The Carpet Quiz
Find out if you are ready to buy carpet wisely! There is no scoring, just consider these 20 questions to see if you know the best answers that will apply to your next carpet purchase.
1. Do you know which carpet padding to use for your home?
Which type of padding gives the best bang for your buck?
2. Here are some common features padding may have for an extra charge.
Do you know what benefits they provide? Which of these features do you think are worth paying extra for?
3. Do you know what padding Density to choose?
4. Do you know what thickness of pad is required?
5. Do you know about carpet fibers? Which fiber is most resilient? Which is the most durable?
6. There are different ways to make carpet.
Would you choose a Continuous Filament fiber or go with a Staple Fiber?
Carpet Care and Maintenance
How you care for your carpet will determine how long it will last.
7. How many people live in your home? Why does this matter?
8. How many days per week do you vacuum on average?
How often should you vacuum your home?
9. Do you have a good vacuum with a beater bar?
10. How often do you have your carpet professionally cleaned?
11. Do you keep all the receipts for the professional cleanings?
12. Do you know what the following carpet definitions / conditions mean?
Which of these conditions are covered by the manufacturer's warranty?
13. Have you visited the website of "The Carpet and Rug Institute"? (CRI)
14. Are you familiar with the requirements set forth in "The Carpet & Rug Institute's Standard 105 for Residential Installation"?
15. Do you know which manufacturer's warranties apply to your particular carpet?
16. If some of your carpet is found to be defective and you file a valid claim with the carpet manufacturer, what do you think will typically happen next?
How your carpet is installed will determine how long it will last
17. What is the best day to have your new carpet delivered to your home:
18. What is the best climate to have your carpet installed
19. What should do you do before the carpet installer begins to install your new carpet?
20. What should you do after the carpet installer is finished installing your carpet?
Click here to see Quiz Answers
It’s hard to find an honest and reputable carpet store these days! That’s why I created my own special hand-picked list of locally-owned carpet and flooring stores. They give free estimates, offer fair prices, have knowledgeable staff, provide honest measuring and use qualified installers. Any Recommended Carpet Stores Near Me?